In 1837, Indiana Asbury College (now DePauw University) was established by the Methodist Church in Greencastle, Indiana. Typical of most colleges at the time, the Asbury student body was all-male.
Thirty years later—following the United States’ Civil War—the college’s board of trustees opened Asbury’s doors to women. But the coeds admitted in 1867 were not readily welcomed by all students. Many feared acceptance of females would diminish the college’s reputation. Initially, the women were taunted by male students and met disapproval from friends and townspeople.
Kappa Alpha Theta was established in 1870 as the first Greek-letter Fraternity among women. Since then, every member has dedicated herself to live by the Fraternity’s “four points of the kite:” personal excellence, leadership potential, commitment to service, and intellectual curiosity. We here at Theta hold ourselves to higher academic standards, strive to tap into our full leadership capabilities, share an enthusiasm for philanthropy, are dedicated to creating personal bonds amongst each other, and express an appreciation and love for other Greek organizations on campus.
Kite and Twin Stars
Black and Gold
Black and Gold Pansy
Our Chapter’s Local History
Rho Chapter was the first sorority house planned and built on the University of Nebraska campus as a permanent residence to promote women’s participation in a college education. Designed by Ellery Davis, Sr., at a cost of $52,000, the house opened on September 2, 1925, as residence for 36 Kappa Alpha Theta members and one house chaperone.